This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

DODDERSHALL HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DODDERSHALL HOUSE

List entry Number: 1117820

Location

DODDERSHALL HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Quainton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 42205

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 72 SW QUAINTON DODDERSHALL

1/58 Doddershall House

25.10.51

GV II*

Large house. N.E. and S.E. wings built early C16 for Thomas Pigott, Sergeant-at-law; S.W. wing dated T.P.L. 1689 on rainwater heads; early C19 alterations. S.E. wing has timber frame with close studding and curved tension braces exposed inside but is partly rebuilt in brick and externally covered with roughcast. S.W. wing is of chequer brick, also mostly roughcast with moulded string course and wooden eaves cornice. N.E. wing rebuilt in brick early C19. Old tile roofs, brick chimneys some with octagonal shafts. Leaded casements, those in S.E. wing with moulded wooden mullions and transoms, some old. Now U-plan but formerly a courtyard house, the N.W. wing removed late C18. Long S.E. front has smoothly rendered quoins, moulded wooden eaves cornice with modillions, and irregular C16 plaster medallion panels with profile heads and heraldic badges. 2 wooden shields with Pigott arms set between right windows. Left bay is gabled with small bind roundel at apex and moulded brick kneelers. Fine C16 externsl chimney stack to left of centre has moulded brick cornice, panel of rusticated brickwork and 2 octagonal brick shafts with moulded bases and off-set heads. To right of centre is a 2-storey porch projection with gable on carved wooden scroll brackets, ornamental bargeboards, C20 glazed doors in architrave frame, and oval windows to sides. Chimney and porch are repeated on N.W. side, the chimney either added or rebuilt C19. S.W. wing has 2-storey porch projection with parapet, 6 bays of large cross windows to left and 2 bays of 2-light windows to right. Narrow 2-storey passage extension on courtyard side. Courtyard side of S.E. wing has C19 2-storey canted bay window with arched lights and Tudor hoodmoulds to left, and triple gabled porch projection with large lancet windows flanking door. C19 doorcase with re-set carved wooden spandrels. Interior: S.E. wing contains hall with moulded cross beams, cornice and moulded jowled main posts. Hall also has frieze of C15 and C16 carved wooden figures, and moulded stone fireplace with 4-centred arch, cornice and some C16 - C17 carved panels to left. 2 other rooms to ground floor of this wing have deeply chamfered cross beams and C16 find C18 panelled doors. Small staircase with turned balusters. Room above hall has large plain wooden panels, frieze similar to that of hall, late C16 door of 2 enriched panels, and moulded stone fireplace with 4-centred arch, carved spandrels and surround of C18 wooden strips carved with flowers. This room and others to first floor have moulded cross or spine beams. Staircase hall in S.W. wing has much re-sited panelling: some with C16- early C17 carving, some linenfold, some C15 with blind cusped tracery, and some late C17 carved festoons of fruit and flowers. Moulded stone fireplace. Fine staircase, late C17-early C18, with twisted balusters, pulvinated string, moulded handrail and newel posts with re-used carved figures to sides and C15 poppyhead finials. 2 heraldic panels on landing with arms and initials of Pigottfamily. Drawing room and room above in S. W. wing have very good late C17 bolection panelling and moulded cornices. First floor room in S.E. corner with later C18 wood-grained panelling and moulded wooden fireplace. House is on moated site. RCHM II p.243-5 Mon. 7 VCH IV p.93.

Listing NGR: SP7201920143

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Buckingham, (1927)
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Buckingham, (1927), 93
Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume Two North, (1913)

National Grid Reference: SP 72019 20143

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1117820 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 09:20:16.

End of official listing