CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1117831

Date first listed: 18-Oct-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1117831 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 10:24:45.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale (District Authority)

Parish: Slapton

National Grid Reference: SP 93715 20690

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 92 SW SLAPTON CHURCH ROAD

1/150 Church of The Holy Cross

18.10.66

GV II*

Parish church. Originally late C13-early C14, much altered late C15, chancel mostly rebuilt early C19, other C19 restorations. Tower is of dressed chalky stone with some flint; nave and aisles are rendered; chancel is of chequer brick with ironstone plinth. Lead roofs except for tiled chancel. Chancel, nave, aisles, W. tower, N. porch and C19 N. vestry. C15 W. tower of 2 stages has battlemented parapet, diagonal buttresses and 2-light traceried openings to bell-chamber. 3-light cusped window over W. door, both openings with 4-centred arches. Nave has plain parapet and 3-bay clerestory of 2-light cusped windows with depressed heads. Aisles extend to west, flanking part of tower, and have moulded parapets and 3-light cusped windows with flat heads, 3 to S., 2 to N. Low doorways between W. windows have chamfered 2-centred arches, that to N. in rendered porch. Chancel has C19 traceried windows in Decorated style: 2 2-light to S., one to N., and 3-light E. window with reticulated tracery. Lean-to vestry to N. Interior is of dressed clunch with plastered spandrels and aisle walls. Tower arch is double chamfered, the inner order on moulded corbels. Nave arcades are of 4 bays with double chamfered and stopped arches on octagonal piers with moulded caps, the W. arches being narrower than remainder. Both nave and aisle roofs are late C15 with moulded beams, restored. N. aisle also has wide recess in E. wall with shallow pointed head, and niche with 4-centred arch above. Chancel arch is late C13, double chamfered on semi-octagonal piers with moulded cape. C19 aumbry and piscina. Fittings Circular font with altered moulded base, probably C13; C17 communion table, altered; C19 glass in chancel; other fittings C19. Brasses to Reginald Manser 1462, Thomas Knyghton 1522, and to James Tornay 1519. RCHM II p. 264-5.

Listing NGR: SP9371520690

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 42135

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume Two North, (1913)

End of official listing