ANGLICAN, NON CONFORMIST AND MORTUARY CHAPELS, AYLESBURY CEMETERY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1117893

Date first listed: 20-Nov-1992

Statutory Address: ANGLICAN, NON CONFORMIST AND MORTUARY CHAPELS, AYLESBURY CEMETERY, TRING ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ANGLICAN, NON CONFORMIST AND MORTUARY CHAPELS, AYLESBURY CEMETERY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1117893 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 00:48:11.

Location

Statutory Address: ANGLICAN, NON CONFORMIST AND MORTUARY CHAPELS, AYLESBURY CEMETERY, TRING ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale (District Authority)

Parish: Aylesbury

National Grid Reference: SP 82909 13571

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added to the list:

SP 8313 AYLESBURY TRING ROAD 2/10002 Anglican, Non-Conformist and Mortuary Chapels, Aylesbury Cemetery

GV II

Anglican and Non-Conformist cemetery chapels and mortuary chapel. 1856 by W.F.Poulton and W.H. Woodman. Anglican and Non-Conformist Chapels - coursed rubble with stone dressings and continuous sill bands. Stone offsets to buttresses. Steeply pitched slated roofs with fishscale patterning and brattished ridge tiles. Gothic style. Anglican chapel 3 bays and lower chancel. Steeply gabled projecting entrance porch in north western bay and slender bell tower with lancet openings, lucarnes and spire at north western angle. Corresponding to the porch, on the south west bay, a similar transept with lancet window and 3-light triangular window in a small western gable. Windows of curvilear style tracery with aprons of blind stone arcading corresponding to lights. Plain painted interior with enriched orbels to chancel arch and scissor-truss roof. Retains cusped altar rails and wooden pulpit. Non-Conformist Chapel 4 bays with similar north eastern porch to the right'of which a similar bell tower with spire rises. Gabled south-western vestry transept similar to Anglican. Windows of Geometric tracery with blind stone arcading corresponding to lights. Plain painted interior with moulded corbels to scissor-truss roof. Mortuary chapel - Pale yellow brick with black brick diaper patterning and dressings; stone dressings and buttress offsets. South western rear facade of red brick. Pyramidal slated roof, upswept at dogtooth brick eaves, and gables; cross finial. Rectangular plan. Pointed arch entrance to north western facade. Returns have 3 grouped lancet windows each. Rear with plain 2-leaf wooden doors. The three chapels are a good example of early Burial Board architecture; the London Act had been extended to the rest of England and Wales in 1853. The contract was won by the Reading based architects in competition; the firm specialised in Non-Conformist churches and was successful in competitions for several cemeteries in central southern England.

Listing NGR: SP8290913571

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 41979

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing