YE OLDE ROSE INNE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1118019

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1951

Statutory Address: YE OLDE ROSE INNE, 30, MARKET PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of YE OLDE ROSE INNE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118019 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 21:05:17.

Location

Statutory Address: YE OLDE ROSE INNE, 30, MARKET PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wokingham (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Wokingham

National Grid Reference: SU 81249 68536

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOKINGHAM MARKET PLACE SU 8168 NW (East side) 18/30 No.30 (Ye Olde Rose Inne) 12.11.51 G.V. II Inn, now restaurants and bars. Early C15, altered C19 and C20. Part timber framed, part painted brick; old tile gabled roofs. Formerly H-plan now L-plan; front section partly rebuilt replica, in late C20 of C18 re-fronting destroyed by fire, but still retaining 2 timber framed bays. A further 6 framed bays behind this with the last a gabled crosswing framed separately. Adjoining this a former brick stable block. C20 extensions within internal angle. 2 storeys with one storey extensions. Road front:- black painted plinth, bracketed cornice, parapet with small coping. 8 bays, with wide angular bay on first floor to left of centre, projecting on cast iron columns, over recessed entry with a pair of large 6-panelled doors, flanked by Doric pilasters. Sash windows with glazing bars. The rear is irregular. The former stable block has an old tile gabled roof and a chimney cut down on ridge; Two 2-light and one 3-light casements with glazing bars in openings with chamfered brick jambs and heads with plain stops; wooden cills. Ground floor windows similar but without chamfered openings. Interior:- Large fine quality timbers visible mostly on ground floor with heavy joists and large principal beams, some plain, some chamfered with lamb's tongue stops. First floor open to roof with mostly C20 softwood timbers set in a traditional form. The original timbers remain in the principal roof trusses. The end cross wing of 2 framed bays has heavy jowled posts, redundant crown post and clasped side purlins ; with C20 replacement rafters and curved windbraces. V.C.H. Vol. 111 p.226.

Listing NGR: SU8124968536

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 41688

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1923), 226

End of official listing