This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

EAST COURT AND ADJOINING WALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: EAST COURT AND ADJOINING WALL

List entry Number: 1118091

Location

EAST COURT AND ADJOINING WALL, JUBILEE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wokingham

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Finchampstead

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 41552

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FINCHAMPSTEAD JUBILEE ROAD SU 76 SE (north west side) 12/4 East Court and adjoining wall 26.1.67 II Large house. C17 altered early C18 and in 1870 by Mr. John Walter. Part painted brick, part painted tile-hanging with courses of shaped tiles, probably on timber framing; tile roofs part gabled, half hipped and hipped. Irregular plan. 2 storeys and attics, large chimney stack to north west with some C17 brickwork. North east, entrance front:- main section has large chimney stack with battered sides on left and a large flanking chimney on the right; To the left of this is a C17 brick wall forming a dog-leg at right angles and adjoining the house approximately 36 metres long and 2 metres high. 2 bays on the right hand with gabled dormers over 2 sash windows with glazing bars on the first floor, and under the left hand window a half glazed door in wood Doric pedimented porch roughly in centre. To the right of the main section is a 2-storey lower wing with a gable of one bay to the right, sash windows with glazing bars. Interior:- The hall has C18 panelling and an C18 staircase with turned barley sugar balusters and moulded handrails. The house was formerly known as Cowdries, as is mentioned in a Court Roll of 1607. V.C.H. III p.242.

Listing NGR: SU7965163323

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1923), 242

National Grid Reference: SU 79651 63323

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118091 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 04:31:11.

End of official listing