This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1118142



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Wokingham

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Winnersh

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 41477

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


WINNERSH BEARWOOD ROAD (east side) SU 76 NE 9/5 Church of St. Catherine Bear Wood

20.1.67 II

Parish Church. 1846 by J.H. Good, in early Decorated style. Ashlar stone, tiled coped gable roofs, lower over chancel, buttressed walls, reticulated 2-light windows. Nave, chancel, vestry on north, square bell tower on west with 2-centred arched entrance and doors. Moulded plinth, lower moulded string course doubled on tower, coved and moulded eaves with varied carved faces, animal heads, and leaf clusters spaced regularly. Tower: 2 stages; 4 stage buttresses, 2 on each corner at right angles to each other, 4-sided splayed stair tower on south adjoining nave and reaching height of string course of second stage; Cornice detail similar to nave. Interior:- 4-bay nave, 2- bay chancel with arched braced collar roof, 2 side purlins and thin wind braces, springing from slim engaged columns in nave walls with moulded heads and bases. Moulded plaster angels on top of left hand wall between principal trusses, those on right hand wall missing. Wooden pulpit with carved panels and cusped tracery heads. Stone font with trefoil panels and moulded top. Stained glass in chancel and in window over organ gallery by Wailes. Monument: on north wall of chancel, a white marble tablet to John Balston Walter who drowned while trying to rescue his brother and cousin who died in the frozen lake at Bear Wood on Christmas Eve 1870. The bottom part of the tablet depicts the frozen lake in carved relief. B.O.E. (Berkshire) p.79.

Listing NGR: SU7803569150

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 79

National Grid Reference: SU 78035 69150


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118142 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 05:58:57.

End of official listing