THE HARRISON ALMSHOUSES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1118152

Date first listed: 01-Aug-1952

Statutory Address: THE HARRISON ALMSHOUSES, LONDON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE HARRISON ALMSHOUSES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118152 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 02:36:32.

Location

Statutory Address: THE HARRISON ALMSHOUSES, LONDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wokingham (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Twyford

National Grid Reference: SU7889876051

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 77 NE TWYFORD LONDON ROAD (south side) 2/32 1.8.52 The Harrison Almshouses

G.V. II*

Almshouses. 1640. Brick. Old tile roof. U-plan with coped gable ends. One storey, brick dentil eaves. Road front: tall flanking chimneys and central gabled porch with moulded brick coping and remains of brick finial. Central 3-centred arched opening moulded and splayed, with moulded brick pediment over and carved stone date panel in gable. The porch is flanked on each side by 3 bays of 3-light leaded casements in wood frames. In the courtyard formed by the projecting wings on the south-east side, the doors and windows have been altered. The wings are joined by a brick wall with central gateway with brick pediment on the axis of the main door. 6 tall chimneys project at regular intervals on east and west outer walls. Interior: Original brick fireplaces and old ledged doors. The court room to the right of the entrance has a contemporary panelled dado and screen to passage, with heavy moulded stiles and tails, small rectangular panels and 2 arched doorways with small key blocks. These doorways originally had dog-gates, now boarded over. The almshouses were renovated by the Trustees in 1966. B.O.E. (Berkshire) p.243. V.C.H. Vol.III p.251.

Listing NGR: SU7889876051

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 41398

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1923), 251
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 243

End of official listing