BEARWOOD COLLEGE CHAPEL BEARWOOD COLLEGE CHAPEL 30 METRES NORTH WEST OF BEARWOOD COLLEGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1118160

Date first listed: 14-Oct-1986

Statutory Address: BEARWOOD COLLEGE CHAPEL 30 METRES NORTH WEST OF BEARWOOD COLLEGE, BEARWOOD ROAD

Statutory Address: BEARWOOD COLLEGE CHAPEL, BEARWOOD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BEARWOOD COLLEGE CHAPEL
BEARWOOD COLLEGE CHAPEL 30 METRES NORTH WEST OF BEARWOOD COLLEGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118160 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 23:39:46.

Location

Statutory Address: BEARWOOD COLLEGE CHAPEL 30 METRES NORTH WEST OF BEARWOOD COLLEGE, BEARWOOD ROAD

Statutory Address: BEARWOOD COLLEGE CHAPEL, BEARWOOD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wokingham (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Arborfield and Newland

National Grid Reference: SU 77648 69108

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ARBORFIELD AND NEWLAND BEARWOOD ROAD SU 76 NE (south west side)

9/6 Bearwood College Chapel 30 Metres north west of 14.10.86 Bearwood College

G.V. II

Chapel. 1934-5 by Sir Herbert Baker. Red brick with stone dressings, plain tile hipped roof. Nave, east and west aisle passages, apsidal sanctuary, lobby entrance on south. Ground floor has 6 bays of 2-light leaded Perpendicular style windows, and one-light similar windows to clerestoreys. Brick and stone buttresses, fleche on ridge towards north end. Enclosed entry porch on south with domed ceiling, semi-circular arched entry on other side of buttressed bell- tower with open bell chamber under hipped tiled roof slightly lower in height than main roof. Stone memorial plaque in bell tower base; in memory of James Lyle Mackay, First Earl of Inchcape, Treasurer of The Royal Merchant Navy School 1917-1932. Interior: 6 bay arcades with semi-circular arches and rectangular columns with continuous mouldings; a rib vaulted apse, 2 shallow domes over the choir bays. Included for group value.

Listing NGR: SU7764869108

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 41414

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 3 Berkshire,

End of official listing