Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1118167

Date first listed: 01-Aug-1952

Statutory Address: CULHAM COURT


Ordnance survey map of CULHAM COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118167 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 19:30:30.


Statutory Address: CULHAM COURT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wokingham (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Remenham

National Grid Reference: SU 78929 83800


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


WARGRAVE CULHAM SU 78 SE 1/35 Culham Court 1.8.52 II* Large country house in landscaped park overlooking. River Thames. 1771, built for Robert Mitchell. Brick, stone string over plinth, stone string at ground floor cill level, moulded and bracketted cornice, brick parpaet with stone coping, mansard slate roof dormers and several chimneys. 2 storeys attics and basement. Entrance front:5 bays of which the centre 3 project slightly with pediment, and bull's eye window in tympanum. Sash windows 3 panes high on first floor, 4 panes high on ground floor, except the right hand upper in projection which is 5 panes high; half glazed central door in stone Tuscan Palladian surround, approached by 5 moulded stone steps flanked by dwarf walls with stone coping and stone blocks as stops. North-west and south-east:fronts have 5 bays each, the north west has 3 dormer windows. River front: 5 bays similar to south west front except for windows which have stone architraves, the outer ground floor windows have cornice and pediment: the 3 centre ground floor windows are tall, the outer 5 panes high with cornice, the centre a French casement with cornice and pediment. Interior: is coeval except for some fireplaces. The saloon in centre of north east front has an enriched plaster ceiling, the dining room has a wrought iron scroll balustrade with moulded mahogany handrail. The first floor corridor is divided into squares by slender pilasters supporting flat quadripartite vaulting. George III with the queen and princesses visited house in 1804. V.C.H. Vo.III. p.192.

Listing NGR: SU7892983800


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 41327

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1906), 192

End of official listing