WARGRAVE CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1118172

Date first listed: 23-Dec-1983

Statutory Address: WARGRAVE CHAPEL, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of WARGRAVE CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118172 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 19:20:53.

Location

Statutory Address: WARGRAVE CHAPEL, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wokingham (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Wargrave

National Grid Reference: SU7862478704

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 7878 16/23

WARGRAVE HIGH STREET (east side) Wargrave Chapel

G.V. II

Congregational Church now Wargrave Chapel. 1835 in a neo-Gothic style. Painted roughcast with plinth and small buttresses on side walls, stone coped gables to slate roof. Windows leaded and with pointed arches. 5 bay nave and embraced west bell tower, chancel on east under pent roof. Entrance front: 3 bays, bell tower in centre. Entrance approached by 3 steps, flanked on either side by 2-light leaded lights with pointed arches and crudely cusped heads. Tower in 3 stages with string mould, full height engaged hexagonal columns one on each corner with moulded cornice and castellated tops, battlemented parapet, 2-light louvred openings on 3 sides of bell chamber; 2-light leaded casement slightly recessed below. Pair of hinged wood planked entrance doors with 3-centred heads under similar arch. C20 entrance and parish room extension on left. V.C.H. Vol.III, p.192. B.O.E. (Berkshire) p.258.

Listing NGR: SU7862478704

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 41341

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1906), 192
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 258

End of official listing