BEAR PLACE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1118177

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1967

Statutory Address: BEAR PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BEAR PLACE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118177 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 04:05:22.

Location

Statutory Address: BEAR PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wokingham (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Wargrave

National Grid Reference: SU 81044 79114

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WARGRAVE KILN GREEN SU 87 NW 3/28 Bear Place 26.1.67 II* Large country house in landscaped park. Late C18 altered C20. Brick, plain vitreous brick string over second floor windows, flat brick platband at third floor level and parapet to hipped slate roof with several chimneys. 3 storeys. Entrance front: Rectangular porch projecting to left of centre with 6-panelled double door in doorcase of Roman Ionic columns, entablature with pulvinated frieze, dentil cornice broken forward over columns, and pediment, the entablature carried round sides of porch; the door is approached by 4 moulded stone steps. The remainder of this front has irregular sash windows with glazing bars including a large tripartite sash on ground floor to left of porch. One storey extension to left hand. South front: main part with 2 wide segmental bows, each with 3 sashes with glazing bars, flanking centre bay with 6-panelled door, arched radiating fanlight, in Corinthian doorcase of engaged columns (Tower of the Winds) entablature and pediment, at the head of a flight of 7 stone steps, wrought iron handrail with cast iron Greek Doric columns for standards at foot. The house stands on a terrace. Interior: has C18 staircase with turned balusters and moulded handrail, marble fireplace surrounds in drawing room and dining room. There is a contract dated 1784 between David Zimenes and Edward Edgerley, builder, for building this house at a cost of £843, materials from the Elizabethan house in moated site in the part to be re-used as far as possible. V.C.H. Vol.III. p.192. B.O.E. (Berkshire) p.258.

Listing NGR: SU8104479114

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 41353

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1906), 192
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 258

End of official listing