DINTON CASTLE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1118308

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Statutory Address: DINTON CASTLE, OXFORD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of DINTON CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118308 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 00:29:21.

Location

Statutory Address: DINTON CASTLE, OXFORD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale (District Authority)

Parish: Dinton-with-Ford and Upton

National Grid Reference: SP 76540 11548

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 71 SE DINTON-WITH-FORD AND OXFORD ROAD UPTON (north side)

3/143 Dinton Castle

25.10.51

- II*

Sham castle or folly, now ruinous, built as eyecatcher from grounds of Dinton Hall (q.v.) in 1769 for Sir John Vanhattern. Rubblestone with stone string courses, openings mostly cement architraved, except above entrance which has stone dressed window opening. Octagonal plan with circular towers at east and west. 2 storeys, the towers carried up to 3 storeys. Doorway in remains of porch in south face of octagon with depressed 2-centred brick arch. First floor tall ogee headed windows. Strings between storeys and at base of parapet. Parapet now mostly gone. Towers have strings between storeys with blank pointed headed loop windows. Walls have many ammonite fossils from the local limestone beds. Interior brick lined. West tower had fireplaces at each storey and east tower had newel staircase.

Listing NGR: SP7654011548

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 43080

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing