PARISH CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1118340
Date first listed:
21-Dec-1967
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118340 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-May-2019 at 02:33:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Buckinghamshire
District:
Aylesbury Vale (District Authority)
Parish:
Aston Sandford
National Grid Reference:
SP 75645 07876

Details

SP 70 NE ASTON SANDFORD ASTON SANDFORD

7/14 Parish Church of St. Michael

21.12.67

- II*

Parish church. C13, C18, restored 1878. Rubblestone with dressings. Weatherboarded bellcote with copper roof. Other roofs plain clay tiles. 2 bay chancel 3 bay nave and west bellcote. South porch. Chancel east wall has 3 lancets, 2 windows in south wall separated by weathered buttress, each of one cusped light with hood moulds. North wall has modern door into vestry and single cinquefoil light window. Nave has 2 windows in north wall of Y-tracery. South side has 2 cusped 2-light windows with porch between, north wall with doorway between. West wall has blocked C13 window covered by C15 buttress. N.W. angle buttress and buttresses to south and north walls of nave, all weathered. Bellcote has louvred opening to each face and pyramidal roof. Interior: Aumbry on north wall of chancel. Chancel arch has C13 responds but arch replaced by 1878 timber arch. Two slender shafts with rough caps, the south one a grotesque head. Inner shaft on each side terminated by corbels. Nave roof collar-beam trusses, some original. Stained glass: chancel east centre lancet: C13 seated Christ with box of nard. Nave north east window: Good window by Farrar Bell, 1969. RCHM I. 22. MON.1.

Listing NGR: SP7564507876

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
42952
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume One South, (1912)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].