PARISH CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1118344

Date first listed: 21-Dec-1967

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118344 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 08:18:10.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale (District Authority)

Parish: Chearsley

National Grid Reference: SP 72025 10313

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 71 SW CHEARSLEY CHURCH LANE (south side)

2/24 Parish Church of St. Nicholas

21.12.67

- II*

Parish church. C13 nave incorporating C12 parts, C15 west tower and chancel. Early C18 south porch. Coursed rubblestone, except chancel of rough rubble, and brick south porch. Old tile roofs. 2 bay chancel with Victorian north vestry 4-bay nave and west tower. East window of two 4-centred traceried lights under hood mould two 2-light septfoiled north and south chancel windows. Diagonal buttresses and weathered buttresses. Nave has C12 herringbone work on lower parts of north wall. 3 north windows, eastern-most a lancet, then a 3-light one with cinquefoiled lights under a square labelled head, west one 3-light leaded oak framed casement to former gallery. South side similar gallery casement. At east end of south side 2-light window, then 3 cinquefoiled light C15 window, west end a lancet. North and south doors c1300 with moulded jambs and pointed heads. South porch in brick with gabled roof. West tower of 2 stages, moulded strings and embattled parapet. 5 stage south-east stair turret with pyramid roof. C15 west window. Loop lights to upper part of lower stage. Belfry windows of 2 cinquefoil lights with quatrefoil in a 2-centred head. Diagonal buttresses. Interior: Chancel has C14 piscina with cinquefoil ogee head and sexfoil basin; late C15 roof of 3 trusses, east one with arched tie-beam, other 2 with raking queen strutts. Braced purlins at east and west. Nave roof C14, altered C15 or C16. No two trusses the same. Chancel arch C13 or C14 reset. Jambs and 2-centred arch of 2 chamfered orders. Arch off-centre. Tower arch 2-centred c1480 of 2 chamfered orders with square jambs. Font. Early C13 cup-shaped bowl with fluted scallops, foilage band and cable rim, of Aylesbury type. C15 octagonal stem and moulded base. Brass in chancel to John Frankeleyn and wife, 1462. Stained glass in west window of tower and nave south east window, all fragmentary. Royal arms on chancel north wall of George II. Wall painting over part blocked north door of St. Nicholas, C14 or C15. Bordered commandments above chancel arch C16, which is cut into by present chancel arch which must be C17 reset. Wall monument to Egelton 1778 has painted scrolls and plinth pediment head and putto apron. RCHM I, p.86. MON.1.

Listing NGR: SP7202510313

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 42962

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume One South, (1912)

End of official listing