Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1118403

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Statutory Address: THE HALE, HALE LANE


Ordnance survey map of THE HALE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118403 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 10:37:45.


Statutory Address: THE HALE, HALE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale (District Authority)

Parish: Wendover

National Grid Reference: SP 89268 07344


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



8/229 The Hale



House. C18 front to C17 building, altered. Dated 1748 on 2 rainwater heads. Painted roughcast with chamfered quoins. Old tile roof, central block with parapet above moulded cornice; 2 tall brick chimneys. 2 storeys. Central block has six bays of sash windows, unevenly spaced, 6 panel door in third bay from LH in surround of panelled pilasters with double scroll brackets and dentil cornice hood. Linking bay to LH with C20 doorway, with former barn to LH refronted early C20, stucco. Old tile roof and parapet, 3 bays of tall sash windows. Low 2-storey wing to RH side, also C20 stucco with old tile roof, and brick chimney, door to LH and 1 bay of sash window with 2-light casement over. Interior. Dining Room completely panelled, probably 1748, with greek key chair rail and scrolled surrounds to panels. Stone chimneypiece with fluted keyblock, cupboard with semi-circular back and shaped shelves. Panelled window shutters. C17 ceiling beam with ovolo moulding. Sitting room has moulded cornice, enriched with egg and dart pattern, C18 wood chimney piece with fluted frieze and moulded cornice. First floor has exposed C17 timber framing and a section of C17 oak panelling, probably moved. C18 closet or wig room over front door, C18 panelling and fitted seat, small direplace, moulded cornice. History. Long associations with the Colet family including Dean Colet founder of St. Pauls School, whose father, Sir Henry Colet was born here c1435. RCHM I p.312 MON.50.

Listing NGR: SP8926807344


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 42801

Legacy System: LBS


An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume One South, (1912)

End of official listing