This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE RED HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE RED HOUSE

List entry Number: 1118430

Location

THE RED HOUSE, 22, AYLESBURY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wendover

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 42767

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 8607, SP 8707 WENDOVER AYLESBURY ROAD east side 10/195 11/195 No.22, The Red House 25.10.51

GV II*

House. Early C18 incorporating C17 rear part. Red and blue brick with red brick dressings, plinth. Old tile roof, small brick chimney to LH of centre, painted dentil brick cornice. 2-storeys, front has 8 bays of 3 pane sash windows in flush frames, most with thick glazing bars, 1st floor with segmental arches, ground floor cambered arches. 6 moulded panel door in 3rd bay from RH with moulded architrave and doorcase of fluted Doric pilasters, modillion cornice and pediment. LH gable wall under carriage arch to LH (see No.24) has exposed timber framing to lower part. Central gabled rear wing has old brick and timbers to gable. Rendered block to LH of rear elevation has 2 upper sashes in architrave surrounds and 1/2-glazed door with thin glazing bars. C19 wing to RH. Interior Entrancehall has wide shallow arch to stair hall. Staircase C18 with decorative tread ends. RH room has C17 style panelling with fluted frieze, moulded cornice, panelled beam, carved wood chimneypiece with panelled over-mantel and dentil cornice; flanking cupboards with arched tops, shaped shelves, gothic pattern glazed doors, keyblocks and dentil cornices; spandrels and central panel have strapwork motifs. LH room has C18 panelling carved wood chimneypiece with enriched frieze, central head and cornice; overmantel with garlands and blank shield. 2 overdoors with garlands and putti. Far LH room has carved wood chimneypiece, shouldered and eared overmantel panel, arched corner cupboard, moulded cornice and panelled beam. Rear room and kitchen have C17 posts and beams exposed. One 1st floor room has dentil cornice. RCHM I p. 310. MON.39.

Listing NGR: SP8694507980

Selected Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume One South, (1912)

National Grid Reference: SP 86943 07981

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118430 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 04:04:11.

End of official listing