CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1118457

Date first listed: 21-Dec-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH WAY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118457 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 19:51:43.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH WAY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale (District Authority)

Parish: Stone with Bishopstone and Hartwell

National Grid Reference: SP 78410 12247

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 71 SE STONE CHURCH WAY east side

3/165 Church of St. John the Baptist

21.12.67 II*

Parish Church. Stone. Tiled roof with ridge chesting. Norman nave and N. doorway. C13 transepts. C14 W. tower with C19 saddleback roof, stair turret to S.E., projecting parapet with carved corbel heads and gargoyles. Restored C19, chancel 1845. Decorated style traceried S.aisle windows, C19 S. porch over Norman door with zig-zag arch, capitals with palmette and leaf motifs, lancet windows to transepts and chancel. Interior: N. arcade is Norman with carved pier capitals, W. bay C13. C14 tower arch. Font Norman, originally at Hampstead Norrey, Berks, brought here in 1845. Cylindrical carved with interlace patterns and scene of man fighting beast. Brasses in nave to William Gurney 1472 and Thomas Gurney 1520. Benches with poppyheads in nave. RCHM I p. 290 MON.2 (part).

Listing NGR: SP7841012247

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 42735

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume One South, (1912)

End of official listing