PARK HILL STATUE EAST OF HARTWELL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1118474

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Statutory Address: PARK HILL STATUE EAST OF HARTWELL HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARK HILL STATUE EAST OF HARTWELL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118474 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 11:58:35.

Location

Statutory Address: PARK HILL STATUE EAST OF HARTWELL HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale (District Authority)

Parish: Stone with Bishopstone and Hartwell

National Grid Reference: SP 79833 12424

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 71 SE HARTWELL HARTWELL

3/98 Park Hill Statue E. of Hartwell House 25.10.51 II

Column with statue on top. Originally N.W. of Hartwell House as part of the early C18 garden illustrated in the Nebot paintings in the County Museum. 1735 by Thomas Watts then with a statue of William III by Sir Henry Cheere. Moved 1757 to its present position on Park Hill, statue replaced by one of George II. Stone, large Doric column on square plinth on base of two steps, inscribed "George II Born 1683 Died 1760. Erected 1757". Column supports section of entablature comprising a single triglyph and a square modillion cornice forming base for the statue. (Country Life 15.3.79 p.707-9 plates 2, 6 & 8).

Listing NGR: SP7983312424

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 42668

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 15 March, (1979), 707-9
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 4 Buckinghamshire,

End of official listing