Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1118488

Date first listed: 26-Jun-1953

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118488 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 21:50:43.


Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: North Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Tarrant Rushton

National Grid Reference: ST 93743 06058


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TARRANT RUSHTON ST 90 NW 3/54 - 26.6.53 Church of St Mary GV II* Parish church, early C12 origin; nave extended late C12; early C14 chancel, transepts and small west tower; C15 porch; C19 north vestry and restoration. Flint and rubble walls, part chequerwork and part banded, part rendered. Greensand and heathstone ashlar dressings. Tiled roofs. Greek cross plan with north and south transepts, chancel nave, south porch, west tower and north vestry. West tower: single stage with pyramidal, tiled roof; C14 3-light west window with reticulated tracery. Vestry has pointed chamfered door and single-trefoiled-light window. North transept: reset C13 lancet west; C14 pointed, 2-light window; C15 east window with square head and Perpendicular tracery under a label with stops in the form of grotesque masks. Chancel; C14 north window with pointed head, 2 lights and reticulated tracery; similar window to south wall with further small trefoiled window west; restored, pointed east window with reticulated tracery: South transept: square-headed, C15, 3-light east window with Perpendicular tracery and label with King and bishop stops; south window of 2-lights under a square head with jambs tapering towards top. South porch has moulded, pointed arch with continuous jambs and a depressed ogee rere-arch. South face of tower bears carved stone cross.

Interior features: restored C12 round headed chancel arch of one plain order; C14 pointed transept arches of 2 chamfered orders, the innermost dying into the responds; pointed, chamfered tower arch ; C17 north transept roof of 3 arch-braced collar trusses with apex pendants springing from carved timber brackets; C19 queen-strut roofs to nave and south transept (south transept possibly C18); chancel arch flanked by C14 pierced stone hagioscopes; further traceried hagioscope to north ; C14 Decorated niche and piscina in chancel; C18 turned communion rails ; C16 south doorway has reused C12 sculptured lintel of Angus Dei with seated figures; C20 pews and pulpit; wall monument of 1765 to Richard Lawrence rector. (RCHM, Dorset, vol.IV, p,l12/3, no.1. Newman, J and Pevsner, N. The Buildings of England: Dorset, 1972, p.419-20.)

Listing NGR: ST9374306058


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 103774

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1972), 112-113
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 419-420

End of official listing