CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1118497

Date first listed: 14-Jul-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118497 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 21:09:51.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: North Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Tarrant Hinton

National Grid Reference: ST 93625 11150

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TARRANT HINTON ST 9311 TARRANT HINTON VILLAGE

10/63 Church of St Mary 14.7.55 GV I

Parish church, C14 nave, C15 west tower and chancel arch, late 15 south aisle clere storey and porch, north chapel and easter sepulchre probably c.1536, some early C19 alterations, chancel and general restoration 1874. South door 1892. c.1536 work probably for Thomas Weaver. 1874 work by Benjamin Ferrey. Greensand ashlar, banded flint and greensand ashlar with ashlar dressings. Lead roofs with gable stone copings. Plan: nave, chancel, west tower, south aisle, south porch and north chapel (probably originally 2 storied). Nave in the late Decorated style, remainder of church, both medieval and C19 in the Perpendicular style. The Easter sepulchre is a fine example of early Renaissance work. Nave window of 2-lights with curvilinear tracery under a pointed head. South aisle has original 2 and 3-lights with curvilinear tracery under a pointed head. South aisle has original 2 and 3-light vertical traceried windows under square and pointed heads with labels having carved stops. The chancel has 2 and 3-light C19 vertical traceried windows under pointed heads. The north chapel has to the east a 3-light window with intersecting tracery under a 4-centred head and to the west 2 levels of 3-light, square headed windows. The south porch and aisle have a continuous embattled parapet with string course and moulded coping. The porch has a rounded head with moulded label with carved stops. The clerestorey has 2-light square-headed windows. 3-stage, embattled tower with diagonal and square-set buttresses terminating in pilasters to upper stage. Parapet string bears gargoyles. 3-light, pointed west window. Belfry has 2-light pointed windows.

Internal features: pointed chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders; pointed tower arch of 2 chamfered orders dying into responds; 3 bay pointed arcade of single chamfered order continuous down rectangular piers; segmental timber barrel roof to nave; tie-beam roof to chancel; C12 square font with arcaded sides on cylindrical shaft with small corner shafts; C18 pulpit with 2 levels of fielded panelling; various reset masonry fragments; late C17 communion rails from Pembroke College Oxford with twisted balusters; C18 and C19 monuments; some early glass.

The Easter Sepulchre is one of the most important church monuments of Dorset. It consists of a recess with a 4-centred head flanked by columns with composite columns with inverted volutes and enriched with arabesques etc. These carry an entablature with inscription. Further recesses above are flanked by 2 angels in high relief.

An extremely interesting and well preserved church.

(RCHM, Dorset, vol.IV, p.96-98, no.1. Newman, J. and Pevsner, N. The Buildings of England: Dorset, 1972, p.417/8.)

Listing NGR: ST9362411154

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 103691

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1972), 96-98
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 417 418

End of official listing