PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1118552

Date first listed: 14-Jul-1955

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118552 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 13:51:41.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: North Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Winterborne Zelston

National Grid Reference: SY 89901 97701

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WINTERBORNE ZELSTON SY 8997 VILLAGE CENTRE

16/199 Parish Church of 14-7-55 Saint Mary

GV II

Anglican parish church. Tower C15, rest of church rebuilt 1866, re-using some old materials, architect T H Wyatt. Tower of rubble stone, rest of church of flint and stone banding, with chamfered plinth. Slate roofs with coped gables. Nave, chancel, north aisle, west tower, south vestry, south porch. Tower, of 3 stages, with battlemented parapet. Single-light window to belfry, with hoodmoulds. Carved gargoyle on west wall. String courses at each stage and below west window. West window of 2 lights, square-headed, with trefoiled lights and label mould. Semi-octagonal stair turret on north. South wall of nave has two 2-light square-headed windows with cinquefoiled lights - one of these C15, also a single-light window. Pointed arched doorway to porch. In south vestry wall a C14 doorway with hoodmould, and a lancet window. In south chancel wall a 2-light window with plate tracery. East window of 3-lights with geometrical tracery and hoodmould. In north chancel wall a lancet, and a 2-light window with plate tracery, both C13. In north aisle wall, two 2-light windows with arched lights. In west wall of aisle a 2-light square-headed window with arched lights, C16. In north nave wall (west of aisle) a 3-light square-headed window with blind spandrils - C16. Internally, chancel has canted wagon roof, with plaster panels, moulded ribs and battlemented cornice. Nave roof arch-braced collar beam, with stone corbels. Aisle roof trussed rafter, with curved braces. Chancel arch segmental - pointed, arch mouldings dying into responds. North aisle, of 2 bays, central octagonal column with moulded cap; arches of 2 orders with hoodmould. Tower arch, C15, of 2 orders. Recess at ground level in north wall of.tower. In west wall of nave, north side, a pointed-arched niche. Font, C19, of stone, octagonal, with quatre- foil panels. Pulpit and pews, C19. (RCHM Monument 1. Dorset, Vol.III.)

Listing NGR: SY8990197701

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 103615

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970)

End of official listing