This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PARISH CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1118560

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST JAMES, MILTON ABBAS, BLANDFORD FORUM, DT11 0BP

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: North Dorset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Milton Abbas

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Jul-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 103538

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 8001 13/121

MILTON ABBAS (South-east side) Parish Church of Saint James

14-7-55

GV II* Anglican Parish Church. c1786, probably by James Wyatt. South aisle and vestry added, and chancel enlarged c1886, by W J Fletcher.

Ashlar stone walls with simple plinth. Aisle and vestry of stone and flint banding. Nave and aisle roofs slated, chancel roof tiled, with crested ridge - all with coped gables. Nave, chancel, south vestry, south aisle of three bays, west tower.

Tower of three stages, with battlemented parapet and corner pinnacles. Moulded string courses at each stage. Belfry has two-light windows with Y-tracery lower sections louvred. Centre stage has clock in north face and quatrefoil panel in west face. In lowest stage, north face has a two-light window with Y-tracery. Pointed-arched west door in square frame, with Coats of Arms in spandrils. North wall of nave has three three-light windows with intersecting tracery. North wall of chancel has one two-light window with Y-tracery and one trefoiled lancet. East window of chancel three-light, with geometrical tracery. South wall of chancel has one trefoiled lancet. South aisle has three three-light square-headed windows with trefoiled lights. Four-centred arched doorway to vestry.

Interior - walls plastered. Chancel has a C19 arch-braced collar beam roof. Nave has a C19 hammer-beam roof. Simple lean-to roof to aisle. South arcade has moulded arches, and circular columns with capitals left rough for carving. Chancel arch has continuous mouldings - no capitals or imposts. Font, probably C13, octagonal, on pier with detached shafts. Pulpit late C18. Marble charity tablet, 1844, on west wall of nave. East window by Laurence Lee 1969-70.

RCHM, Monument 2. (Dorset. Vol.III)

Listing NGR: ST8064801785

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970)

National Grid Reference: ST 80648 01785

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118560 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 09:06:11.

End of official listing