1 TO 4, TREGONWELL COTTAGES AND THE READING ROOM, MILTON ABBAS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1118594

Date first listed: 14-Jul-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 28-Jul-1986

Statutory Address: 1 TO 4, TREGONWELL COTTAGES, MILTON ABBAS, BLANDFORD FORUM, DT11 0BN

Statutory Address: THE READING ROOM, MILTON ABBAS, BLANDFORD FORUM, DT11 0BN

Map

Ordnance survey map of 1 TO 4, TREGONWELL COTTAGES AND THE READING ROOM, MILTON ABBAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118594 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 01:21:21.

Location

Statutory Address: 1 TO 4, TREGONWELL COTTAGES, MILTON ABBAS, BLANDFORD FORUM, DT11 0BN

Statutory Address: THE READING ROOM, MILTON ABBAS, BLANDFORD FORUM, DT11 0BN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: North Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Milton Abbas

National Grid Reference: ST 80625 01822

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 07/12/2017

ST 8001 13/102

MILTON ABBAS (North west side) Nos 1, 2 , 3 and 4 Tregonwell Cottages and the Reading Room

(Formerly listed as Nos 1, 2 , 3 and 4 Almshouses and the Reading Room)

14.7.55

GV II* Almshouse block. First built in the former town in 1674, re-erected on present site in 1779. Walls of brick and flint banding, with stone dressings; tiled roof with moulded coped gables and stone eaves courses. Four brick stacks along ridge, each with two square shafts set diagonally. Single-storey. Reading Room (now used as Village Hall), in centre, has gable end to road. In this, ground floor has three moulded stone arches with ornamented projecting keystones, on Tuscan columns - ledged door in centre arch - two-light windows with lead lights in outer arches. This feature framed by two composite columns supporting entablature and moulded cornice. Above this, in gable, three circular windows with moulded stone surrounds. Coat of Arms in centre with date stone - 1779 - below on each side of the Reading Room. The almshouse wings, each with two ledged doors in four-centred arched stone surrounds, and four stone mullioned windows with lead lights. Exposed ceiling beams in Reading Room.

RCHM Monument 8. (Dorset.Vol.III)

Listing NGR: ST8042701762

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 103518

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970)

End of official listing