This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHAPEL OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHAPEL OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

List entry Number: 1118639

Location

CHAPEL OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Portesham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1956

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 105293

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SY 68 NW PORTESHAM CORTON

4/172 Chapel of St Bartholomew 26.1.56 GV II*

Chapel, former free chapel. C13 chancel, C16 nave walls, with late C19 rebuilding at west end. Restored and reconsecrated in 1897. Coursed rubble walls, with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs, with stone gable-copings and plain kneelers. Chancel: chamfered plinth. East window, late C14 alteration, and has 2 trefoiled lights with a tracery light between vertical bars in a 2-centred head. South wall has a single-light window, rebated externally and splayed internally, with a C20 pointed head. Nave: no plinth. South wall, C20 3-light window, doorway with chamfered polygonal arched head, of re-used voussoirs. Plank door with strap- hinges. West wall, rebuilt with a 3-light window, C20, with a 2-centred rere-arch. The bellcote surmounting the west wall is C20. Stone cross-crosslet on east gable, C20. Interior: altar, stone with chamfered Purbeck marble base and similar top carried on two stone cross walls, early C13. Brackets: in chancel, flanking east window, two moulded stone corbels, C15. Piscina: with chamfered jambs and ill- fitting two-centred head and label, moulded corbelled shelf, much restored, C13. Tiles: in chancel, re-set in floor, eighteen medieval tiles, red with yellow glaze. (RCHM Dorset II, p.242 (2)).

Listing NGR: SY6359285484

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970), 242

National Grid Reference: SY 63592 85484

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118639 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 11:46:47.

End of official listing