This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1118755

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bothenhampton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Dec-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 105058

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SY 49 SE BOTHENHAMPTON WALDITCH

2/38 CHURCH OF ST MARY

GV II

Parish church. Rebuilt entirely in 1863, (though dated 1809 on east gable). Rubble stone walls. Slate roofs. Nave and Chancel North aisle. South porch. Stone gable-copings at west gable and east gable,west gable with moulded kneelers. Stone sanctus bell- cote at west gable with a pitched roof. Stone cross at east gable. One storey. 3 windows (nave), and 2 windows (chancel). Single lancets with deep-chamfered,jambs. Nave has a 2-light windows with Y-tracery, and chamfered label over. Lozenge-leaded and stained glass lights. South porch, of dressed stone with a slate roof. Stone gable-copings with roll-kneelers and trefoiled apex- block. Pointed-arch entrance with straight-chamfered jambs, and a chamfered label over. 2-leaf plank door with strap hinges. Interior: north arcade of 3 bays with octagonal piers and moulded capitals. Chancel-arch has 2 pairs of responds and moulded capitals. Collar-beam roof with king-posts and transverse strutting. Font: Purbeck marble basin, with fleurons, spread arrows and blind-arch ornament, c.early Cl3. Stone cylindrical stem and scalloped base. RCHM Dorset I, p 30(2).

Listing NGR: SY4819892526

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1952), 30

National Grid Reference: SY 48198 92526

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118755 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 03:01:40.

End of official listing