PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1118784
Date first listed:
11-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH PATH

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118784 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jul-2019 at 06:20:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH PATH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
West Dorset (District Authority)
Parish:
Broadwindsor
National Grid Reference:
ST 43777 02651

Details

ST 40 SW BROADWINDSOR CHURCH PATH 11-11-1966 4/27 Parish Church of St John the Baptist

GV II*

Parish Church. Late C12, early C13 core, C15 west tower with reset material. Drastic restoration by G M Allen of Crewkerne (1868), when nave and aisles extended one bay to the east, chancel and north aisle rebuilt. North vestry and south porch added. Rubble-stone and lias ashlar walls. Tile and lead roofs. West tower: 3 stages, late C14, much restored by Allen, set-back buttresses with set-offs. Crenellated parapet with gargoyles. 2-light bell-openings with ogee-panelled tracery. Newel stair on north side. C14 west doorway, 2-centred with continuous moulded jambs. 3-light panel-tracery window over, by Allen. South aisle of 5 bays, much rebuilt. Windows: west is a 3- lighter, trefoil-cusped with panel tracery over, C15. Rest are 3- light, trefoil-cusped with square heads over by Allen. Buttressed. String with gargoyles and crenellated parapet over. Clerestory with 5, 2-light cusped ogee lights in a square head, crenellated parapet over. Chancel, rebuilt, 2 bays, 2-light cusped windows with ogee heads. Door with chamfered jambs and cusped ogival head with a round label over. 2 large buttresses with set-offs. Stone gable-coping with cross at apex. East window, 3-lights with flowing tracery. Label with head-stops. South porch: diagonal buttresses, 2-centred entrance with moulded jambs and one respond order. Label over, stopped with ogee finial, poppy-head-stopped. Same parapets and gargoyles over. Recessed arms (St George; St Andrew) with labels over. South door to church, C14 continuous moulded jambs, with 2 quirks. Interior: Nave, now 5 bays, south arcade, late C12, round piers with square scallop-capitals. Pointed arches with a slight chamfer. North arcade, early C13, with round moulded capitals arches with 2 chamfered orders. Flat square bases and water-holding bases respectively. Rebuilt clerestory over a continuous string. Chancel-arch, C19, with continuous jambs, and a stopped respond order, with quasi stiff-leaf capitals. Label with head-stops, Internally, windows have re e-arches, often segmental-pointed. Roofs, nave Cl9, queen-struts with arch-braces to a high-collar. Tie beams with wall-braces to stone corbels. Pierced quatrefoil wall-plate. Chancel, double pitched, and with 20 compartments, bossed at the intersections. Hidden ashlaring. Fittings: font: square Purbeck stone bowl with stone base corner responds, Cl3. Pulpit: 7-sided oak, with buttressed and pinnacled angels, 2 tiers of panels, upper with conventional foliage, enriched cable for middle-rail, Cl6, Cornice and base are C2O. Piscinae: north ai&le, east wall, with trefoil ogee head and sexfoiled drain, Cl4 south aisle, east wall, moulded jambs, trefoiled-ogee head, label and round drain, Cl4. Wall-Tablet in chancel: Edith Gundrey, 1695. Tower: wall-momment to E Hallson etc, 1839. Standing Dragoon. Sources: R.C.H.M. Dorset I, p 52 (1). F.P.Pitfield, Dorset Parish Churches A-D, p 119-123.

Listing NGR: ST4377702651

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
105019
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1974), 52
Pitfield, FP , Dorset Parish Churches, (1981), 119-123

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02492/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Nigel Budden. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].