CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1118809

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1956

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118809 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 18:01:54.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Piddletrenthide

National Grid Reference: ST 71775 02271

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 70 SW PIDDLETRENTHIDE PLUSH 9/243 26-1-56 Church of St John the Baptist - II

Chapel. 1848, by Benjamin Ferrey. Coursed squared rubble with ashlar dressings. Gable-ended,tiled roof with stone copings. bearing cross finials. Embattled parapet to nave. Plinth. Strings to parapet, plinth and below windows. Plan: nave, chancel and south vestry. Gabled west bellcote with 2 cinqfoiled openings. Nave windows-are of 2 cinqufoiled lights under 2-centred heads. Norh and south chancel windows are lancets. East window is of 3 cinqufoiled lights with 'perpendicular' tracery. All major windows have labels with carved head stops. Vestry has square headed window of 2 trefoiled lights and 4-centred head door. West door has moulded, 2-centred head with continuous jambs. Buttresses at angles and between nave windows. Interior features: 2-centred moulded chancel arch, inner order running into respond shafts with moulded capitals and bases and outer orders continuous with jambs; 2-centred, moulded bellcote arch with respond shafts bearing moulded bases and capitals; Hammer beam roofs with moulded purlins and wall plates, the nave having wind-braced purlins; late Cl2 monolithic, cylindrical stone font with flutings on cylindrical stem; other fittings C19. RCHM, Dorset, vol Iii, p 2l5-2l6. No 2.

Listing NGR: ST7177502271

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 104974

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset III Central, (1970), 215-216

End of official listing