This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1118823

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Minterne Magna

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1956

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 104902

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 60 SE MINTERNE MAGNA MINTERNE MAGNA VILLAGE (EAST SIDE) 8/172 26-1-56 Church of St Andrew GV II*

Parish Church. Chancel and nave early C15, north chapel 1610-20, west tower 1800 and 1894, general restoration 1894. Chapel probably for Sir Robert Napier. Restoration of chancel and aisle by H.C. Sturt. Walls of banded flint and rubble and rubble with Ham Hill stone ashlar dressings, chapel in ashlar. Tiled, gable-ended roofs with stone copings bearing finials. Nave has stone slate verges. Plan: chancel, nave, west tower, north chapel. West tower: 2 stages separated by strings with embattled parapet and crocketted pinnicles; parapet string bears gargoules and stylized foliage; angle pilaster strips; first stage has blind 2-centred arches to north and south and 2-centred, moulded west door; second stage has 2-centred windows with pierced stone panels, nave wall; windows separated by Cl9 2-stage buttresses with carved gabled tops; central C19, 4-centred perpendicular, 3-light window flanked by similar 2-light C15 windows under 2-centred heads. Chancel: south wall has 2 square headed, 2-light Perpendicular windows flanking a 2-centred door; east window of 3-lights with perpendicular tracery under a 2-centred head; north window similar to the south windows. Chapel: north window of 5-lights with 4-centred heads, the central one being raised,with a stepped, returned label over: west window of 4 4-centred lights with a square head and ovolo-moulded mullions; west door with 4-centred head. South nave window is of 2-lights under a 2-centred head with Perpendicular tracery. Interior features: moulded, 2-centred chancel arch with continuous jambs; moulded, elliptical chapel arch: tower arch part concealed, flat responds; C19 scissor-braced roofs with cusping to nave and chancel springing from carved corbels; C19 chapel roof with arch-braced cambered collar springing from wall-plate with carved leaves; seating with carved bench ends of 1897; C19 octagonal pulpit; piscina with 2-centred head in nave; C15 octagonal font with quatrefoils containing carving on modern base; various C17, C18, C19 and C20 monuments notably to the Napiers in the chapel with broken pediment on Corinthian columns flanked by weepers by Robert Taylor senior early C18 and to Charles Churchill 1714 in the nave with massed trophies of arms; some C15 glass in nave. RCHM, Dorset, vol I, pp 167-168, no 1. Newman J and Pevsner N, The Buildings of England; Dorset, Penguin,1972, p 295. Kelly's Directory of Dorsetshire 1899.

Listing NGR: ST6595504340

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset I West, (1974), 167-168
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 295
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1899)

National Grid Reference: ST 65955 04340

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118823 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 03:35:25.

End of official listing