This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF THE HOLY ROOD

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE HOLY ROOD

List entry Number: 1118892

Location

CHURCH OF THE HOLY ROOD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Buckland Newton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1956

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 104778

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 60 NE BUCKLAND NEWTON BUCKLAND NEWTON VILLAGE

5/54 26-1-56 Church of the Holy Rood GV I

Parish church. Part of chancel C13; nave, north aisle, south aisle, south porch and west tower C15; partial rebuilding of chancel and general restorations C19 (1839, 1841, 1849 and 1869). Medieval work for Glastonbury Abbey. 1869 work by T H Wyatt. External walls rendered. Nave roof of lead with gable end, other roofs hidden behind parapets. Plan: chancel, nave, north aisle, south aisle, south porch and west tower. C13 work in 'Early English' style, C15 work in the 'Perpendicular' style. Tower: 2-stage with embattled parapet; rectangular vice; diagonal west buttresses; parapet string with gargoyles; west doorway having 2- centred; moulded arch and continuous jambs with label having carved stops; west window of 3 lights and panel tracery under a 2-centred head with stopped label; clock to west face of second stage; 2-light, square headed belfrey windows. Aisles: 3 bay; windows of unusual design having 3-lights under 2-centred heads, the heads having elongated reticulations and the transoms being formed by arches of the lower parts and inverted arches of the upper parts of each light (ie there are no horizontal transomes): embattled parapet with string course; buttresses between windows. Chancel; 3 bays with lancets; C19 east window of 3 graduated lancets; south door with 2-centred head; embattled parapet with string course over. Porch: 2 storeys with polygonal vice turret, diagonal buttresses, embattled parapet with string course bearing gargoyles; lierne vault with carved bosses; outer door with 4-centred head in square surround having quatrefoils in spandrels with stopped label; inner door with moulded 'Tudor' arch and continuous jambs; upper floor has 2-light, square headed, stone mullioned window. Interior features: nave arcades of 3 bays with 2-centred arches having 2 hollow chamfered orders springing from piers with 4 shafts separated by hollow chamfers and capitals and bases; trefoiled chancel rear-arches on purbeck marble columns with capitals and bases, that to the east being C19; tower arch with flat jambs and 2-centred, moulded head; chancel arch if 2-centred with blind panels to archivolt; squints to aisles; chancel roof of tie-beam construction on C15 head corbels; tie-beam nave roof; aisle roofs with braced beams; seating incorporates C15 work with linen fold panels and bench ends with floriate finials; C15 octagonal font with carved flowers on octagonal stem; C17, C18 and C19 monuments; C12 figure of Christ in Majesty reset over exterior of south door; over interior of south door is reset C7 or C8 carved figure with bow and spear; C18 hexagonal pulpit. Other fittings largely C19. RCHM, Dorset, vol III, pp 48-SO, no 1. Newman J and Pevsner N, Buildings of England; Dorset, Penguin, 1972, pp 121-2. Pitfield F P, Dorset Parish Churches, A-D, Dorset Publishing Company, 198O, pp 131-134.

Listing NGR: ST6877105270

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset III Central, (1970), 48-50
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 121-122
Pitfield, FP , Dorset Parish Churches, (1981), 131-134

National Grid Reference: ST 68771 05268

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118892 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 09:18:54.

End of official listing