CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1118941

Date first listed: 08-Apr-1983

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118941 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 21:41:57.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Marshwood

National Grid Reference: SY 38267 99614

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SY 39 NE MARSHWOOD MARSHALSEA 5/19 Church of St Mary II Parish Church. West Tower 1841, rest rebuilt in 1884 by G. Vialls. Rubble walls with lias stone ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. West Tower to north, Nave, South Aisle, Chancel, Vestry at west end to south. Entrance through west doorway of tower. West Tower of three stages with plain stone parapet. Tall lancet bell-openings with foiled cross-in-circle motif above. Diagonal buttresses with alternating dressed stones and rubble-work. Nave windows: paired lancets, straight-chamfered. Chancel lancets with hood-mould over. Two north wall buttresses. Interior: Nave with 3-bay south arcade carried on round piers. Capitals with stiff-leaf foliage and pecking birds. Chancel of two bays, division with nave suggested by dado and Purbeck shafts to left and right. East window of three lancets with Purbeck-shaft framing. Roof, of scissor-brace construction with ashlaring, unceiled. South aisle with transverse internal buttresses. Font: stone, octagonal with irregular quatrefoils. Pulpit: with simple turned framing in wood. Brass reading stand in pulpit. Sedilia: very plain, stone, with trefoil heads. Source: Pevsner, Dorset, P. 271.

Listing NGR: SY3826799614

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 104582

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 271

End of official listing