PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1118952

Date first listed: 08-Apr-1983

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY, FORE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118952 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 20:41:04.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY, FORE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Thorncombe

National Grid Reference: ST 37599 03346

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 3703 7/101

THORNCOMBE, FORE STREET (north side), Parish Church of St Mary

GV II

Church. Built in 1866-7 by James Mountford Allen in perpendicular style. Nave with North and South aisles. South transept; chancel; West Tower; South porch; Vestry at North-East Corner. Rubble masonry with some freestone blocks. Stone dressings for plinths, window surrounds, strings, parapets. Slate roof. Exterior: moulded plinths, strings, labels with some head stops, embattled parapet. Windows of 2-4 lights with panel, tracery over ogee trefoil-cusped main lights. South transept window with Y-tracery; East window with Through King-mullions. Tower of 4 stages with diagonal buttresses and stair-turret in North-East angle. West door. Large perp-style bell-openings. Interior: Nave with 4-bay arcade. Piers: each of 4 equal straight-chamfered responds with sunk quadrants in the diagonals. Plain capitals with moulded abaci and neckings. Chancel arch carried on 2 orders of responds with still-leaf capitals. Strainer-arch set transversely between arcade wall and South trancept South wall. Nave roof of alternate tie-beam and arch-traced collar construction carried on carved stone corbels. Through purlins with ashlaring at wall-plate. Chancel roof of arch-braced construction, ceiled and carried on angel-corbels. Interior features: Font, re-used stone block of capital shape on a stone base. Bowl possible C12. Brasses: of Sir Thomas Brook (d1419) and his wife Dame Joan Brook (1437) Full-length: Sir Thomas with SS collar. Inscription on rectangular margin intact, recording dates of death. Relaid and restored in 1867. Pulpit oak, 13-sided with linen-fold panels in 2 tiers, early C16, some replaced panels. Communion Table, late C16, walnut with bulbous turned legs supporting Ionic capitals. Reading Desk: C17. Flemish-style, with caryatids and foliage decoration. Stained glass: North aisle window in memory of Rev C A Bragge (d1923) and wife Emily. The church is set well back in the churchyard from Fore Street and forms a group. Sources R.C.H.M. Dorset I, p. 239(1).

Listing NGR: ST3759903346

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 104609

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1974), 239

End of official listing