UNITED REFORMED AND METHODIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1118967

Date first listed: 19-Sep-1975

Statutory Address: UNITED REFORMED AND METHODIST CHURCH, EAST STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of UNITED REFORMED AND METHODIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118967 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 12:47:12.

Location

Statutory Address: UNITED REFORMED AND METHODIST CHURCH, EAST STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Bridport

National Grid Reference: SY 46757 92863

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

5191 SY 4692 1/262

EAST STREET (South Side) United Reformed and Methodist Church

GV II

1859. Architects Poulton and Woodman of Reading. Hammer dressed stone with ashlar dressings. Pitched roof. Nave and 2 aisles. "W" front expresses this by buttresses with setbacks crowned by octagonal spirelets with steep gablets on each side. Coped gable end, crow-stepped at very top and crowned by tall finial. Large 5-light grouped lancets, centre 3 lights grouped together under 1 arch and divided from remainder by colonnettes: reticulated tracery hood mould. Pointed arch in gable end with Geometrical tracery. Porch to each aisle with very steep roof, coped gable ends and finials, diagonally planked double doors with ornamental iron hinges, in cusped pointed arches with hood moulds. Star-shaped windows above each porch. Side elevations have 6 lancets with shaped arches, separated by buttresses. Interior. Open hammerbeam timber roof on foliate corbels. Galleries round 3 sides on twisted iron columns. Rib-vaulted apse approached through arch on shafts with elaborate foliate capitals, corbelled out from wall; "O Worship the Lord in the Beauty of Holiness" painted round extrados. Gabled and crocketed organ in apse. Panelled pulpit. Early C17 polygonal pulpit with 2 tiers of arcading, originally in the church at Charmouth. It was from this pulpit that the Vicar of Charmouth (John Wesley's great-grandfather) was preaching while the fugitive Charles II was waiting for the ship which failed to take him into exile in 1651.

Nos 8 to 36 (even) form a group with the United Reformed and Methodist Church.

Listing NGR: SY4675792863

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 104543

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing