GRANBY HOUSE MASONIC HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1118972

Date first listed: 28-Nov-1950

Statutory Address: 124, EAST STREET

Statutory Address: GRANBY HOUSE, 128, EAST STREET

Statutory Address: MASONIC HALL, 126, EAST STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of GRANBY HOUSE
MASONIC HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118972 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 12:08:56.

Location

Statutory Address: 124, EAST STREET

Statutory Address: GRANBY HOUSE, 128, EAST STREET

Statutory Address: MASONIC HALL, 126, EAST STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Bridport

National Grid Reference: SY 47035 92840

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5191 EAST STREET (South Side)

No 124 No 126 (Masonic Hall) No 128 (Granby House) SY 4792 1/58 28.11.50.

II* GV

2. Rear circa 1500, front 1769 when it was opened as the Marquis of Granby Inn. Front in stucco, No 128 brick. Hipped stone slate roof. 3 storeys. Modillion eaves cornice. Rusticated ground floor. No 128 has 2 inserted shop fronts and 1 4-panelled door with oblong fanlight. Others have 6-panelled doors with semi-circular fanlights. Sashes with glazing bars and keystones. Nos 124 and 126 have eared surrounds to 1st and 2nd floor windows, and semi-circular blind panels to blocked windows on 2nd floor. Rear part is remnant of the mediaeval Priory of St John. Rubble. Pitched slate roof with coped gables on kneelers East wall has a canted oriel window supported on coved and moulded corbel, 4 lights, each with 3 centred heads. The lower part looks circa 1500, the upper part possibly mid C16. Remains of 2 other windows with moulded frames, probably early C16, one with a relieving arch. Voussoirs of a pointed lancet incorporated into south wall. Interior of rear part. Ground floor room at north end has ceiling with all beams moulded, door with chamfered arch, and blocked door on west side (now a cupboard) with chamfered relieving arch and behind this an ogee-shaped moulding presumably once framing a door. Room on 1st floor above this has the oriel window In the east side: opposite this it has a blocked window with 3 arched lights and hollow chamfer: fireplace with chamfered 4-centred arch. Room at south end of 1st floor was evidently re-conditioned in mid C18: it has a moulded cornice and fielded panelling throughout, including reveals of 2 blocked windows to west. Further 1 storey red brick extension to south. Pitched pantile roof, 1 planked door. Planked double doors. 1 casement with glazing bars. 1 boarded window. 1 loft door.

Nos 108 to 128 (even) form a group.

Listing NGR: SY4703792839

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 104556

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing