This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN

List entry Number: 1118977

Location

CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bettiscombe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 104565

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 39 NE BETTISCOMBE

5/8 Church of St Stephen 11.11.66 GV II Parish Church. Entirely rebuilt 1862, in Perpendicular style, by John Hicks of Dorchester. Rubble-stone walls with freestone banding and dressings. Tiled roof. West Tower, Nave, North Aisle, Chancel, South Porch, West Tower, of four stages with stone quoins, unbutressed. South stair turret of only two stages. Medieval Perpendicular west window of three lights with tracery, reset. Two-light bell openings with stone "traceries". Plain parapet with raised corners, stone-coped. South elevation: window-porch-window; chancel: window-buttress-window. C19 windows of two trefoil-headed lights with a quatrefoil over. One reused medieval head and mullion at east end of chancel south wall, with heraldic label-stop. Porch with 2-centred arch entrance with moulded stone jambs. Diagonal buttresses with set-offs. Interior: Nave with three-bay north arcade, carried on standard responds with hollow chamfers. Plain capitals and bases. Tower-arch: straight- chamfered dying into walls. Chancel-arch: three responds with wave-mountings over. Roof, wooden, of single-hammer-beam design with arch-braces, all carried on carved stone corbels. Segmental ridge-members Pulpit: C19, stone of debased Perpendicular type with tall panels and traceried heads. Signs of the Four Evangelists. Font: C19, octagonal stone bowl with central stone support and four Purbeck marble colonettes. Carved panels with e.g. Star of David, Dove, IHS, Passion flower, acorns and leaves. Monuments: (1) Stone floor-slab, at chancel-step, to Jane wife of John Pinney, dated 1695. (2) Blue lias floor-slab, next to (1), to Nathaniel Pinney dated 1724 and Naomi, his wife dated 1741. Lettering within panelled framing, comparable to Manor House hall. Source: R.C.H.C. Dorset I, p. 28(1).

Listing NGR: SY3990999978

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1974), 28

National Grid Reference: SY 39909 99978

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118977 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 12:25:14.

End of official listing