This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FORMER LITERARY AND SCIENTIFIC INSTITUTE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER LITERARY AND SCIENTIFIC INSTITUTE

List entry Number: 1118999

Location

FORMER LITERARY AND SCIENTIFIC INSTITUTE, 51, EAST STREET, BRIDPORT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bridport

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-Nov-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Sep-1975

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 104515

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SY 4692 1/66 5191

EAST STREET (North Side), No. 51 (Former Literary and Scientific Institute)

(Formerly listed as Literary and Scientific Institute, and Public Library)

28.11.50.

II* GV

Originally founded as a Mechanics Institute by Henry Warburton MP, then in 1855 reconstituted as a Literary and Scientific Institute and later used as a public library in C20. Portland ashlar. 2 storeys and high basement. Moulded band. Moulded eaves cornice and blocking course. Rusticated ground floor. 4 ranges round headed sashes with glazing bars, those on 1st floor with continuous sill band and moulded voussoirs and impost band. Panel with "Literary and Scientific Institute" inscribed. Panelled door with contemporary acanthus moulding and semi-circular fanlight, flanked by Greek Doric columns taking semi-circular arch. Some railings with spear finals.

Nos 37 to 47 (odd) the Unitarian Chapel, the Literary and Scientific Institute, and Nos 53 to 57 (odd) form a group.

Listing NGR: SY4678592921

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SY 46786 92918

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118999 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 08:45:14.

End of official listing