LYSCOMBE CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1119105

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1956

Statutory Address: LYSCOMBE CHAPEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of LYSCOMBE CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119105 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 21:56:22.

Location

Statutory Address: LYSCOMBE CHAPEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Cheselbourne

National Grid Reference: ST 73667 01066

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHESELBOURNE ST 70 SW LYSCOMBE

1/48 Lyscombe Chapel

26.1.56

GV II*

Detached chapel, (dedication unknown). C12 chancel, nave almost entirely rebuilt in C15 and C16, probably became a dwelling in C17, now disused and semi-derelict. Flint walls, with bonding-courses and dressings of rubble; also some later brick dessings. The chapel is now covered entirely by a corrugated iron roof supported on iron stanchions outside the walls. East window, original single-light, slightly widened in C13 and a chamfered trefoil head inserted. North wall, original narrow window with rebated round head and splayed reveals, mutilated. South wall, original window enlarged and fitted with C20 surround. Chancel arch, mid C12, two centred and of 2 plain orders on west side with remains of a moulded label. On the east side it is flat. The responds have half round shafts supporting the inner order, and smaller shafts under the outer order. Capitals are scalloped, and have moulded abaci continued as a string on the west; the lower part of the north respond and most of the south respond have been destroyed and the capitals have been badly defaced. Floor beams and a stone stair were inserted in the chancel, late C16. Nave: (aisleless single unit). South wall rebuilt C15; north wall rebuilt late C16. Part of the chamfered east jamb of the south doorway survives near the ground; above it is a window of uncertain date, now partly blocked and altered by insertion of a second opening. West wall is late C16, gable contains a window with chamfered jambs cut from a single stone; the opening is now square but retains traces of two pointed lights and a central mullion. In the lower storey, the west wall has 2 Cl8 openings. A floor with stop chamfered beams was inserted in the nave as in the chancel, neither of these survive. Part of small medieval downland group with obscure history. 3½ hides of land at Lyscombe formed part of the original endowment of Milton Abbey. The chapel is mentioned in 1311 together with the chapels of Woolland and Whitcombe. It passed into lay hands when Henry VIII granted the Abbey's possessions to Sir John Tregonwell in 1540. (RCHM Dorset III, p75(2) Plate 130 Scheduled Ancient Monument (M 162) Cal Pat Rolls 1307-13, p 389)

Listing NGR: ST7366701066

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 106236

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970), 75

End of official listing