CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1119107

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1956

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119107 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 00:02:59.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Dewlish

National Grid Reference: SY 77549 98177

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DEWLISH SY 70 NE CHURCH STREET (South Side)

5/53 Church of All Saints

26.1.56 GV II*

Anglican Parish Church. C12 origin, altered and enlarged in C14, C15 and C16. Restored 1872, Architect T H Wyatt, when south aisle remodelled and organ chamber added. Walls mainly of rubble stone and flint. Nave roof slated. Aisles and chancel stone slated with some coped gables. Nave, north aisle of 3 bays, south aisle of 3 bays; chancel with organ chamber on north, west tower, porch and vestry west of north aisle. Tower, of rubble stone, of 2 stages, has moulded plinth and battlemented parapet. Moulded string courses at base of parapet and below belfry. Belfry windows, blocked in brick, of 2 lights with Perpendicular tracery. In south wall of nave, west of the aisle, a 2-light window with Perpendicular tracery. South aisle, altered in 1872, has a reset C12 doorway in west wall, with segmental arch and chevron ornament. In south wall 3 paired lancets with traceried heads. In east wall a 2-light window with geometrical tracery. In south wall of chancel a 2-light square headed window with cinquefoil lights. East window of 3-lights, with curvilinear tracery. East window of organ chamber of 2-lights, square headed, with cinquefoil lights. In north wall of organ chamber 2 single light square headed windows and a moulded arched doorway. In north aisle wall remains of blocked doorway and two 3-light square-headed windows, one with reticulated tracery, one with plain arched lights. Porch, C18, of brick and stone banding with tiled roof, has round arched doorway. Inner doorway C12, with pointed segmental arch and C18 oak door. Vestry, west of porch, C19, of brick and stone banding with tiled roof. Internal walls plastered. Chancel has shallow segmental plaster ceiling. Good C18 monument on south wall. Choirstalls made up of C17 oak panelling. C17 oak pulpit. Nave roof of arch braced collar-beam form. North arcade, C16, has arches with panelled soffits. In north aisle a large Gothic Revival Monument 1886 to Sir John Mitchell. Some C17 panelling below this. South arcade, 1872, has circular columns with moulded caps. South aisle roof of arch braced collar beam and king-post form. Simple C13 circular font (RCHM Monument 1 Dorset Vol III. Buildings of England Dorset. Newman and Pevsner)

Listing NGR: SY7754998177

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 106241

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970)
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972)

End of official listing