PARISH CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1119126

Date first listed: 10-Feb-1987

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Mar-1987

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119126 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 00:27:20.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Athelhampton

National Grid Reference: SY 77104 94138

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ATHELHAMPTON SY 79 SE

9/1 Parish Church

- II

Parish church 1861-2 by Hicks of Dorchester. Coursed rubble-stone walls with freestone dressings. Clay-tile roof with stone gable-copings and moulded kneelers. Gabled bellcote at west end with buttressing. Two trefoil-headed openings, two bells, quatrefoil in head over. Nave has buttresses with 2 set-offs at each corner. Nave has 3 windows to north, each of two trefoil-headed lights with a quatrefoil in head (plate tracery). West window of 2-lights with trefoil heads and a quatrefoil over all under a super arch. The chancel has two single light lancets with ogee trefoil heads. East window of 3-lights with trefoil heads, with trefoils and cinquefoils over. Keeled label with head-stops. North porch with steep gable and cross-in-wheel head. Entrance has chamfered jamb and segmental pointed head. Inner order dies into the jambs. Doorway into nave, pointed arch, plank door and ornamental strap-hinges, C19. Interior: nave of 4 bays with arched scissor-braced roof carried on naturalistically carved stone corbels. Chancel arch carried on short corbelled responds, the arch being of large trefoiled form with naturalistic foliage in the spandrels and carved terminal bosses. Chancel roof of hammer beam construction with high collars carried on carved capitals, corbelled. Pulpit: access through chancel arch jamb to 3 sided corbelled stone pulpit, with a stone lectern having carved corbel; main face has an Agnus Dei carved in spur-trefoil. Monuments, chancel north wall, both being marble tablets with Gothic Bath stone framing: (1) to Mary, widow of George J Wood died ... 1880 (2) to G J Wood born Upwey 1807, died Athelhampton 1867. Stained glass, east window in memory of Emma wife of H P de la Fontaine (crucifixion, SS Mary and John). Nave north wall, window to Cecil de la Fontaine died 1916, (St George and Dragon, and emblems of King's own rifle corps. Font, cylindrical stone bowl, with carved rushes and lilies, cylindrical stem and water holding base, later C19. Nave door, plank with ornamented iron strap hinges and vertical iron bar adjoining. Stone carver, Burge of London. (RCHM Dorset III, p9(1). Dorset County Chronical, 2nd January 1862).

Listing NGR: SY7710494138

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 106189

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970), 9
'Dorset County Chronical' in 2 January, (1862)

End of official listing