This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PARISH CHURCH OF ST HYPOLITE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST HYPOLITE

List entry Number: 1119143

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST HYPOLITE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ryme Intrinseca

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 31-Jul-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 106120

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

RYME INTRINSECA ST 51 SE RYME VILLAGE

1/102 Parish Church of St Hypolite 31.7.61

GV II*

Parish Church. Cl3 nave and chancel. C17 west tower and north porch. Rubble-stone walls, with freestone dressings. Clay-tile roofs with stone slate eaves. Chancel: east wall rebuilt in C17. C17 east window of 3 4-centred and graduated lights, with moulded label. Side walls each have a C13 lancet. Nave, north wall has at the-east end a trefoiled light t lighting the pulpit, C17. 3-light stepped window similar to that in the chancel, C17. 2 light window west of porch, also Cl7. Early C15 north doorway has moulded jambs and 2-centred head. South wall of nave has its easternmost window of two lancet lights, C13. The west tower, early C17, of 3 stages with an embattled parapet and pinnacles at the angles. N.E. stair-turret is also embattled and with a pyramidal roof. The west doorway has chamfered jambs and 4-centred head. The second stage has in the east wall, a window of two round-headed lights. The bell-chamber has, in each wall, a window of two four-centred lights in a square head with a label, these have stone tracery. Interior: chancel and nave are structurally undivided. Segmental plastered roof with tie-beams, compartmented in the chancel. Font: octagonal bowl with concave underside and necking, octagonal stem and concave base, late C15. Two chairs in the chancel, C17. Royal Arms, nave, painted on canvas in frame with segmental head. Above the shield are the initials G.R. and John Williams, Yeovil, 1793. (RCHM Dorset I, p.193 (1))

Listing NGR: ST5817910825

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1952), 193(1)

National Grid Reference: ST 58179 10825

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119143 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 05:14:10.

End of official listing