ST ANTONY'S CONVENT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1119166

Date first listed: 11-Jul-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Oct-1986

Statutory Address: ST ANTONY'S CONVENT

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST ANTONY'S CONVENT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119166 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 11:34:11.

Location

Statutory Address: ST ANTONY'S CONVENT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Leweston

National Grid Reference: ST 63643 12323

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEWESTON ST 61 SW LEWESTON MANOR

2/57 Saint Antony's 11.7.51 Convent (formerly listed as Leweston Manor)

GV II*

Country house, now used as school. Late C18 - for William Gordon. West wing added mid-C19. Interior largely remodelled c.1930, - architect Maxwell Ayrton. Original house has ashlar stone walls, roof concealed behind parapet, ashlar stacks behind parapet. 2 storeys. On main front, centre section projects lightly. This pedimented, the pediment breaking through a raised solid parapet. Moulded cornice at base of parapet and a second moulded course at lower level. Central porch has balustraded parapet with solid angle piers capped with urns. Round-arched doorway in moulded arch with keystone and imposts, flanked by Ionic pilasters supporting parapet. Each side of porch, in centre bay, one elliptical arched sash with glazing bars in raised stone surround. 3 similar sashes on first floor. Coat of Arms in pediment. Each side of the centre bay, 2 similar sashes on each floor. Balustraded-parapet has solid angle and intermediate piers. Intermediate piers have ball finials; angle piers and parapet to centre bay have onion-shaped finials. C19 wing at right end has plastered walls and slate roof with eaves cornice and-coped gables. 2 storeys plus mezzanine. Sashes with glazing bars in stone surrounds. Attached to house at left end a stone balustraded terrace wall, with moulded coping. Pair of stone gatepiers with moulded caps and ball finials and iron gates - this c.1910. Internally most features c1930. Entrance hall has marble fireplace surround. Above this a mural of the estate incorporating clock and weathervane. Drawing Room has marble fireplace surround with mirror overmantel. Mural paintings of Persian hunting scenes and ceiling paintings of Zodiac, all by George Sheringham. Main stairs with bronze balustrade and ribbed glass handrail. Panelled doors in polygonal arched openings. Circular lobby to Staff Room designed as "Parrot's Cage", with bronze grilles and open dome. Mural paintings by George Sheringham behind grilles. Graded II* for interior - an Art Deco. period piece. Mid C20 additions not of special interest. (RCHM Monument 2. (Dorset. Vol.1) )

Listing NGR: ST6364312323

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 106075

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1952)

End of official listing