PARISH CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1119232

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1956

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119232 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Dec-2018 at 19:57:34.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Owermoigne

National Grid Reference: SY 76886 85322

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SY 7885-7785 OWERMOIGNE CHURCH LANE (north side) 14/35 Parish Church of St Michael 26.1.56 GV II*

Parish Church. West tower, early C15. Rest of church rebuilt in 1883 to the design of S.Jackson of Weymouth, with some medieval windows reset in the chancel. Rubblestone walls. Clay tile roofs. West tower, three storeys divided externally into two stages by a weathered string-course, with a plinth and an embattled parapet and gargoyles at the corners. On the north side is a vice contained in a large rounded projection with loop lights, to the west are single stage diagonal buttresses added before 1883. The west window is of two cinquefoiled lights with vertical tracery in a two centred head with a label. In the upper stage there is a window in each wall of two arched lights without cusping in a square head. The tower roof is modern. Nave, 1883, has two windows to south wall with porch between. Windows are left, 2 lights trefoil cusped with a cinquefoil in circle above and traceried spandrels, all in a square head with a label. Right window to same design, though of 3 main lights and 2 cinquefoils over. Gabled porch at centre with stone gable coping and cross over. Entrance has moulded jambs and pointed arch. Label with square stops. 2 leaf plank door. Inner doorway to nave has straight chamfered jamb and four centred head, plank door with strap hinges. Chancel rebuilt 1883, has an east window of that date, 3 trefoiled lights with a 12 foil in circle over, all in a pointed head. Label with stops over. The north wall has a C16 window of two cinquefoiled lights with hollow moulded jambs and square head. In the south wall a similar C16 window with a C19 label. Further west a mid C13 window of one trefoiled light with two centred head and C19 label. North vestry, with external access from east, and attached small north chapel, lit by a 3 light window. Interior: tower arch of 2 moulded orders, inner 2 centred, outer is segmental pointed and continuous down to pyramidal stops. North side has a doorway to the vice. Chancel arch, C19, segmental pointed arch with inner order dying into jambs. Similar arch to north chapel. Fittings: font, circular moulded bowl on plain cylindrical stem with moulded foot on square base, C18. Benefactors Table, in tower north wall, C18 painted wooden panel recording bequests to the Owermoigne, poor from Adam Jones of Holworth, Abbotsmilton, 1653. Brass in chancel, to John Burton, 1506. (R.C.H.M. Dorset II, p. 184 (1)).

Listing NGR: SY7688685322

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 105924

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970), 184

End of official listing