PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1119258

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1956

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARTIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119258 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 18:46:15.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Broadmayne

National Grid Reference: SY 72844 86645

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SY 7286-7386 BROADMAYNE MAIN STREET (north side) 11/5 Parish Church of 26.1.56 St Martin

GV II*

Parish Church. Late C13 chancel, nave and south tower. Top stage of tower built or rebuilt late C15. Church extensively restored 1865-6 by J Hicks of Dorchester when north and east walls of the chancel and the chancel arch were rebuilt. North nave arcade and north aisle and north vestry built 1865-6. Squared and coursed rubble with ashlar dressings, all of Portland stone. Clay tile roofs with stone slate at eaves. Chancel: south wall has two C13 lancets, with a C16 doorway between with chamfered jambs and segmental-pointed head, now blocked. The east wall has a restored triplet of C13 lancets, continuously roll- moulded internally. Rebuilt north wall has a reset C13 lancet. Nave, south wall, east window renewed 1980's to C14 design of two trefoiled ogee lights with a quatrefoil in a two centred head. Western window C15, of two cinquefoiled lights in a square head with moulded reveals and label. West window is C15 of three cinquefoiled lights with vertical tracery in a two centred head. The west doorway has moulded jambs and four centred arch with a label, with one surviving head stop. The north aisle has three windows. Reset in the east wall of the C19 north aisle is a C13 archway. South tower of two stages divided by a restored string, outside and 3 storeys inside. Projecting parapet wall and gargoyles. Ground floor forms the church porch. South wall has a doorway of c. 1300 with chamfered jambs and a pointed arch of two chamfered orders, the inner order merging into the jambs, the outer continuous. Above the doorway is a later blocked window of one trefoiled light. The second storey has in the south wall a window of two paired pointed lights. The bell chamber has an early C16 window of two trefoiled lights in a square head with a label. Interior: roofs, of arch traced form carried on carved angel- corbels, C19. Fittings: font octagonal bowl of Portland stone with shafted angles, quatrefoil in each face, panelled stem and moulded base, C15. Piscina in chancel, c.1300. Nave, south wall, c.1300. Wall tablets in chancel, C19. (R.C.H.M. Dorset II, p.30 (1)).

Listing NGR: SY7284486645

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 105894

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970), 30

End of official listing