Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119274 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 00:17:17.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

West Dorset (District Authority)
Melbury Bubb
National Grid Reference:
ST 59595 06549


MELBURY BUBB MELBURY BUBB ST 50 NE VILLAGE Parish Church 2/73 of St Mary 31.7.61 I GV Parish Church. South Tower, later C15. Nave and chancel C15, rebuilt in 1854, probably by Withers of Sherborne. Rubble-stone walls, with ashlar stone dressings. Slate roofs, with stone gable-copings. South tower, of four stages, with ground stage as porch entrance to church. Diagonal buttresses. Doorway in the south hall has jambs and pointed-arch head of two chamfered orders. Second stage, east wall: window of one trefoiled light. String-course. Third stage has in middle of each face a standard set diagonally, resting on half- angels holding shields. Above this, a frieze of quatrefoils enclosing paterae, shields, the initials B. and W. B. on the south face, for Walter Bokeler, rector, c.1470-80. Bell-chamber has in each wall a window of two trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head, stone tracery to the louvres. Embattled parapet, with a small pinnacle to each central merlon. The stair turret is an addition of later date than the remainder of the tower. Chancel, rebuilt in C19, of 2 bays with diagonal buttresses. Side windows are of 2 lights, cinquefoil-cusped with cusped panel tracery over, casement-moulded reveals. Moulded label with head-stops. Priest's door to chancel, with moulded jambs and pointed-arch head. Plank door. East window: C15 reset. 3-light with ogee trefoil cusping. Two main panels over, with falchions. Small C19 niche in gable-head. Nave, 3 bays, C19 rebuild. The south-east window is of 3 lights and retains parts of old tracery; the second window on the north has an C15 head of 3 trefoiled lights with panel tracery; the western pair of windows have C15 heads of 3 cinquefoiled ogee lights with panel tracery. West window has Y-tracery and panel-tracery head. Blocked doorway beneath, with moulded jambs and pointed head, C19 label. Interior: Nave, roof has high collar, waggon- braced, short king-post and longitudinal plate. Fleuron bosses at the intersections. Chancel, roof of mansard profile, compartmented and bossed at the intersections, C19. Chancel-arch, with moulded jambs continuous into pointed arch stepped and pyramid stops, C19. Fittings: Font, cylindrical tapering stone bowl, reversed, formerly base of a shaft, carved with continuous design of beasts: stag, horse, wolf, and ? lion, and lesser beasts, and interlacement, C10. Stained glass: late C15. East window, shields of arms of Wane and Mattravers,symbols of the 4 evangelists, crowns, inscription. N window, centre, Annunciation with figures of Virgin and St Gabriel. N.W. window, small head of Christ and panels of Wise and Foolish Virgins, with inscriptions. Main lights, figure of Christ with 5 wounds originally carried as rays to 7 sacraments' panels. Ordination survives. W. window tracery, C15 glass. (RCHM Dorset I, p.158(1))

Listing NGR: ST5959406550


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1952), 158


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/05603/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Haigh. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].