OLD SCHOOLHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1119321

Date first listed: 11-Jul-1951

Statutory Address: OLD SCHOOLHOUSE, SHERBORNE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD SCHOOLHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119321 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 12:35:35.

Location

Statutory Address: OLD SCHOOLHOUSE, SHERBORNE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Trent

National Grid Reference: ST 59803 18582

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TRENT ST 5818-5918 SHERBORNE ROAD (north side) 18/197 Old Schoolhouse 11.7.51 - II Former schoolhouse, now private dwelling. Built 1678 and endowed by John Young. Dressed stone walls. Slate roof with stone gable-copings. Stone stacks with cornices at cable ends and on rear wall. 2 storeys and attics. 5 windows, 3-light ovolo-moulded stone mullions, C20 metal case- ments with rectangular lead lights. Separate returned labels to ground floor. Continuous label to first floor. Front door, right of centre, with ovolo-moulded jambs and depressed-arch in a square head. Label returned high over doorway. Plank and moulded-muntin door, with renewed weatherboard, C17. Short rear wing, rendered and slated with gable-coping. C20 metal casements. Side door, plank. Interior: east gable-wall has open fireplace embrasure with cambered lintel exposed. Over the front doorway was formerly an inscription recording the building and endowing of the school by will of John Young in 1678. (RCHM, Dorset I, p 260(23)).

Listing NGR: ST5980318582

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 105738

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1974), 260

End of official listing