THE OLD VICARAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1119395

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1956

Statutory Address: THE OLD VICARAGE, 1, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD VICARAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119395 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 13:28:35.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD VICARAGE, 1, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Sydling St. Nicholas

National Grid Reference: SY 63163 99386

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SY 6399 SYDLING ST NICHOLAS HIGH STREET,(west side) 12/180 No. 1 (The Old Vicarage) 26.1.56 GV II*

Attached former Vicarage, now private house. Dated 1640 R.T. V (for Ralph Taylor, Vicar) on panel over west doorway. Restored in 1778. Rubble-stone knapped flint and chalk-block walls. Slate roofs with end gables, and 2 front (east) gables with C19 ornamental barge-boards. Stacks at left hand eaves and right hand gable. 2½ storeys. 5 windows, irregular fenestration, hollow- chamfered stone mullions with separate labels over, single light stone-framed windows in gables with wood and iron casements with lead lights. Sashes at right hand end, with glazing-bars. Between the 2 front gables is C20 infill to bring the front flush. Door at left ground is C20 with top half glazed. South gable end has present front door, 4-panelled, C19. Wooden trelliswork porch. Rear (west) wall has 4 2-light stone mullion windows, unusually wide openings, each filled by a wooden case- ment with glazing-bars. Central doorway with rendered jambs, and multi-panel glass door.

(RCHMS Dorset I, p233(5))

Listing NGR: SY6316399386

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 105506

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1974), 233

End of official listing