This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

DEAN'S COURT

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DEAN'S COURT

List entry Number: 1119561

Location

DEAN'S COURT, DEAN'S COURT LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: East Dorset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wimborne Minster

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 107039

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DEAN'S COURT LANE 1. 5193 Dean's Court SZ 0199 NW 2/16 14.6.52 GV 2. Built on the site of the medieval Deanery. The present Hall, in the centre of the building, rebuilt in 1868, appears to be on medieval foundations and may incorporate part of the original building. The north and east wings, enclosing the Hall, were built in 1725. Brick, with stone dressings, tiled roofs and brick chimney stacks. The C18 wings form an L-shaped plan and enclose the C19 Hall on the west. At the north-west corner of the Hall is a square stair turret containing a newel stair, probably a reconstruction of the medieval stair. The north front of 2 storeys with parapets is a 7 bay symmetrical composition with a central doorcase within a classical surround with entablature, broken pediment and a Coat of Arms. Windows generally are double-hung sashes with glazing bars. The east front is similar except that it is of 5 bays in length. The south elevation incorporates the Tudor style end gable of the rebuilt hall: the elevation is thus in 2 parts. The second part is similar in style to the east front. The C19 west front is again of 2 storeys with basements and attics but in a Tudor style with stone-mullioned windows to each storey. Those on the ground floor contains C18 heraldic glass. The interior contains some slight remains of the medieval building but the major features, panelling, fireplaces and staircases are of the C18 and C19 centuries. An important house on a site of historic interest, retaining many C18 internal features. Hutchins' History of Dorset, Vol III 232. RCHM Monument 7.

Listing NGR: SZ0098999700

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1975)
Hutchins, J, The History and Antiquities of the County of Dorset, (1861), 232

National Grid Reference: SZ 00989 99700

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119561 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 08:55:35.

End of official listing