This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST JOHN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN

List entry Number: 1119613

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Stanwix Rural

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Apr-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 77663

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STANWIX RURAL LOW CROSBY NY 45 NW

5/82 Church of St John 1. 4.57. II

Church. 1854 by R.H. Billings, totally replacing medieval church on same site. Dressed red sandstone, graduated slate roof. 2½ storey tower, 4 bay nave, single bay chancel. West tower has moulded plinth course continued round entire building: entrance has pointed arch with crocket open pediment and trefoil tympanum: string course, lancets with curvilinear tracery. Short spire has crocket edges and 4 lucarnes finished with central pinnacle. Projecting stair tower in south wall. Nave has pointed windows of 2 lights with curvilinear tracery heads and continuous drip moulding. Chancel has steeply pitched roof on north side to cover vestry. Interior has original pews with end doors; oak carved pulpit; carved oak lecturn; Norman font from the original church, with square base, rounded stem, square bowl with chamfered edges. Rear gallery on cantilever arches, with oak balustrade and handrail. Roof on semicircular arched braces. Windows have squared leaded lights with cut or moulded glass heads and internal segmental rear arches with lacy tracery. A number of white warble wall plaques. The Post Office Directory of Cumberland & Westmorland, 1858, p.152, suggests that the new church was partly built with stone from the Roman Wall.

Listing NGR: NY4480859586

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Post Office Directory of Cumberland and Westmorland, (1858), 152

National Grid Reference: NY 44808 59586

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119613 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 07:41:37.

End of official listing