CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1119626

Date first listed: 22-Sep-1983

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119626 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 11:49:17.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle (District Authority)

Parish: Stanwix Rural

National Grid Reference: NY 40826 59796

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STANWIX RURAL HOUGHTON NY 45 NW

5/77 Church of St John

II

Church. 1840-42, built as copy of Stanwix Church, Carlisle. Snecked ashlar yellow sandstone, from Chalk Quarry, Dalston, slate roof. 3 storeys east tower with 4 bay nave-chancel. Tower has pointed entrance arch with hood mould: similar windows in bell chamber, with Y-tracery and louvred slats: diagonal buttresses at angles with corner pinnacles and corbelled and castellated parapet. Clock above entrance is of 1901. Pointed arch windows and hood moulds to nave: diagonal buttresses at angles, with corner pinnacles and cross as gable pinnacle. Interior renovated 1901 by C.J. Ferguson: pine pews, carved oak pulpit and lectern, pitch-pine panelled ceiling. Red cement floor with chancel floor of black and white marble. Font of carved Caen stone, with red marble pillars of 1898. Windows of Moorish pattern, in plain leaded glass by Cleator & Sons, London, 1897. Not an ancient site.

Listing NGR: NY4082659796

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 77658

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing