This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BATTERY OBSERVATION POST BATTERY GARDENS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BATTERY OBSERVATION POST BATTERY GARDENS

List entry Number: 1119691

Location

BATTERY OBSERVATION POST BATTERY GARDENS, NORTH FURZEHAM ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Torbay

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Brixham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Jul-1997

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 469188

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIXHAM Battery Observation Post, Battery Gardens 1946-1/2/1005 North Furzeham Road

II

Battery Observation Post. 1940. Reinforced concrete. Two-storey building, with steps down to balcony at first-floor level, entered from NW side; cantilevered roof over balcony, which views out to sea (NE); entrance to ground floor immediately below, with the wide opening beneath balcony. The Battery Observation Post is set into the cliff so that its flat roof is level with the road (North Furzeham Road). High precision range finders were housed in the upper storey, which acted as the centre of communications with the searchlights positions and guns. A Bar and Stroud range finder was housed in the lower part of the building. This building formed the operational focal point of the Emergency Coastal Defence Battery here, which was one of many erected in 1940 to provide additional protection to harbour installations. It survives in a remarkable state of preservation, with searchlight and gun positions.



Listing NGR: SX9213756858

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SX 92137 56858

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119691 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 02:28:17.

End of official listing