PARDES HOUSE SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1119705

Date first listed: 20-Nov-1997

Statutory Address: PARDES HOUSE SCHOOL, HENDON LANE N3

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARDES HOUSE SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119705 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 06:04:00.

Location

Statutory Address: PARDES HOUSE SCHOOL, HENDON LANE N3

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Barnet (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 24942 90464

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 2490 HENDON LANE, N3 (south-east side) 31/18/10339 Pardes House School

GV II

Former boarding school block, now a primary school. 1925-6 by Middlesex County Architect, HG Crothall. Multi-coloured, load-bearing brick with stone dressings; rear facade windows with red brick flat-arched heads. Plain tiled gabled and hipped roofs behind battlemented parapets; that to the former main entrance conical. Western wing with a part louvered, copper-clad fleche. STYLE: Arts & Crafts inspired Tudor style, reflecting the old collegiate style. PLAN: L-shaped. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Metal-framed, centrally pivoted windows with small panes; timber frames to the rear. Windows mostly separated by capped buttresses but those on the lst floor on the eastern wing are separated by 3 tall 2-stage chimney stacks. Former main entrance in octagonal bay set in the angle of the "L"; moulded segmental arch with carved enrichment surmounted by an heraldic plaque under a hoodmould. Recessed panelled and part-glazed doors. Entrance flanked by 2-light transom and mullion windows with 3-light windows above. Western wing has 3-light, double-height transom and mullion windows and a north western Gothic tracery window flanked by buttresses expressing the internal hall. Eastern wing with 4-light windows to the projecting ground floor and paired 3-light windows above. Symmetrical north-eastern entrance front with slightly projecting central entrance bay having a moulded, segmental arch and 3~Iight window above; this flanked by 3 3-light windows to each side. Two rainwater hoppers are dated AD 1926. INTERIOR: retains the original form plan and features. The half-panelled assembly hall has an open hammer-beam timber roof, a balcony across the end and 3 canted, balustraded balconies opening from the upper floor on the south side. The octagonal room above the entrance was formerly a library. HISTORY: this block was built as an expansion to the well-known Christ's College boarding school founded in 1857 by Thomas Reader White, Rector of Finchley. It stands opposite the original school building by Edward Roberts.



Listing NGR: TQ2494290464

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 469203

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing